Let’s face it…plain steamed vegetables can get a bit tiresome. Yes, they’re super bone-healthy and powerfully alkalizing, so why not dress them up a bit?
Alkalizing vegetables are a very important part of the Osteoporosis Reversal Program, which is why so many are included in the Program’s extensive list of Foundation Foods. Eating them should not be drudgery. With today’s delicious seven ideas, you’ll never find veggies boring again!
7 toppings That Add Scrumptious Flavor And Bone-Healthy Nutrients To Boring Vegetables
Savers will notice right away that not all of these toppings are 100% alkalizing. But that’s okay, because these recipes are for 2 pounds of alkalizing steamed vegetables. Thus, the resulting dish will still be pH-balanced.
Simply mix these ingredients together and store in an airtight container in the fridge, or use right away.
Now on to the recipes!
- 1/2 cup chopped or slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil (preferably fresh, but you can substitute 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
3. Sun-dried Tomatoes-Lemon Zest-Parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (or ½ cup chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped (preferably fresh, but you can substitute 1-2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 or 2 (to taste) garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
5. Zesty Bacon
- 3 strips cooked bacon, chopped very small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons each lemon peel and lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves (again, fresh is preferable but you can substitute 1 tablespoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
7. Sour Cream-Almonds-Dried Cherries
- 1/3 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped or slivered
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries, chopped
You can treat these like a dressing and toss them with your vegetables, or sprinkle them over the top. No matter how you do it, these tasty enhancements add a new flavor dimension and a bone-healthy nutritional boost.
Adding Flavor Adds Motivation
When you get started on the Osteoporosis Reversal Program, sticking to a pH-balanced diet may seem a bit overwhelming or tedious, which is why including flavor-packed additions is so helpful. I’m sure you’ll agree with me: when your meals are full of color, flavor, and creative recipes, it’s much easier to enjoy being on the Program and stay motivated to build your bones without taking osteoporosis drugs.
In fact, the idea that pH-balanced food should be enjoyable as well as nutritious was one of my primary inspirations for writing Bone Appétit, the Save Our Bones cookbook. Because I really want to see you succeed in reaching your goal to better bone health.
To help further your success, I’ve also included the 30 Day Meal Planner as a free bonus when you order Bone Appétit. The Planner includes tips and ideas to get the most bone-building benefit from your daily eating habits, and it also provides a guideline for 30 days’ worth of meals that nourish your bones and taste fantastic.
There’s no need to experience pH-balanced boredom!
I’d love to hear some other bone-healthy meal enhancements you’ve tried. Please feel free to share with the community by leaving a comment below.
Till next time,