In our weight-conscious society, snacking tends to get a bad rap. Many people think that focusing on healthy meals means cutting out snacks entirely. But nothing could be further from the truth!
The truth is, food is about much more than calories. Food is where you find the nutrients for rejuvenating bone, maintaining a healthy pH balance, and building a healthy body. Snacking is an important means of doing all these things and more.
I know I feel better when I snack healthfully. And today I am going to show you how you can make three energizing, nutritious, bone-renewing snacks that are rich in alkalizing protein to make your bones stronger, younger, and fracture-resistant. And they can be prepared in minutes!
If you have the Osteoporosis Reversal Program, you are familiar with “The Protein Myth” discussed in Chapter 6, and the fact that animal protein is acidifying and therefore not emphasized in the Program.
But protein is just as important nutritionally as carbohydrates and fats – in fact, when combined with regular exercise, healthful, alkalizing protein intake helps build muscle (which is necessary to preserve and increase bone density). In addition, the timing of protein consumption can make a huge difference by helping you build bone more efficiently.
That’s why the following recipes contain whey powder. Although it is a byproduct of milk fermentation, whey is alkalizing and full of bone-healthy protein and other amazing nutrients.
So let’s get started with these delicious and easy-to-make snacks!
DIY pH-Balanced Snack Recipes
I am so excited to share these with you. The following recipes are absolutely delicious, and they taste even better when you know that every bite builds youthful bones.
Fruity ‘Ice Cream' Sundae
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1/4 cup raspberries or strawberries, frozen
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- Use a blender to mix all the ingredients until smooth. You can adjust consistency by increasing or decreasing the quantity of almond milk. Add toppings like dark chocolate, granola, slivered almonds, or your favorite fruit.
Crunchy Cocoa Bites
Yields 8 to 10 balls
- 8 dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 4 teaspoons honey (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- In a blender, combine the dates, half of the almonds, honey and cocoa powder. The mixture should be slightly sticky so you can shape it into a ball. If it’s not moist enough, add another date. If it’s too wet, add a little more of the almonds.
- Make each ball from a heaping teaspoon of the mixture. Roll the balls in the remaining almonds and refrigerate for extra crunch.
No Bake Strawberry Cookies
Yields 8 to 12 cookies
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 4 figs or dried apricots
- 1/4 cup coconut or almond flour
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (you can also use chocolate whey protein powder)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey (adjust to taste)
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- Combine all ingredients except strawberries in a blender or food processor until finely ground.
- Add ¼ cup of the strawberries and blend for an additional 15 seconds until strawberries are finely diced and incorporated into the mix with a doughy consistency.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and fold in the remaining ¼ cup strawberries.
- Shape into small thick cookies and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
It’s Snack Time!
If you have not been incorporating bone-healthy snacks into your diet, now is the time!
Making positive changes to your diet and lifestyle is the first step on your way to reclaiming youthful bones, and that starts with forming healthful habits such as having delicious snacks that won’t hurt your bones.
In fact, snacks are so important to a healthy, bone-building diet that they are included in the 30 Day Meal Planner, one of the many bonuses that come with your order of the Save Our Bones cookbook, Bone Appétit.
The 30 Day Meal Planner shows you how to snack right for your bones. Besides breakfast, lunch and dinner, each day’s meal plan for an entire month includes two delicious snacks, a 100% alkalizing one and an 80/20 pH-balanced one.
You’ll discover how to use snacks to maximize nutrients and achieve better pH balance. For example, you may choose to follow up an acidifying restaurant meal with an alkalizing snack to help balance your pH.
The 30 Day Meal Planner is included free with your copy of Bone Appétit, the cookbook I’ve created for Savers that’s chock-full of recipes that renew and nourish bones.
From delectable breakfast recipes to scrumptious pH-balanced desserts, Bone Appétit is designed to be a positive, whole-body approach that celebrates what you can eat rather than emphasizing deprivation.
Today is the day to start positive change by eating the foods your bones crave!
Till next time,