It made big news abroad, especially in Europe. But chances are that if you live in the United States, you didn’t hear about this at all. And it might make you wonder about the well-known saying, that “bad news travels fast”.
The latest osteoporosis drug fiasco is about the drug Protelos, the trademarked name for strontium ranelate, which is not sold in the U.S. and is also marketed under the names Bivalos, Osseor, Ossum, Protos, and Protaxos.
According to an article published this week in The Telegraph,
“Doctors ‘should not prescribe’ strontium ranelate – sold in Britain under the brand name Protelos – to patients who either have venous thromboembolism (VTE), or have a history of the condition, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has warned. Physicians should also refrain from prescribing it to patients ‘who are temporarily or permanently immobilized’”.1
One Study, Many Surprises
At least until now, strontium ranelate was considered by the medical establishment as one of the most innocuous osteoporosis drugs, often prescribed to patients who could not tolerate bisphosphonates. Fortunately, Save Our Bones community members know better, because from the get-go, the Osteoporosis Reversal Program prominently lists blood clots as one of strontium ranelate’s most dangerous side effects. What’s more, in the Osteoporosis Reversal Program I wrote that,
“We must remember that long-term safety and efficacy of any form of strontium (except for Servier’s studies) have never been evaluated on humans using large scale medical trials.”
Still, the EMA recommends the drug to treat osteoporosis because of its thickening effect on bones.
Don’t be a Guinea Pig!
The warning about blood clots stems from a French study published in October of 2011.2 Researchers analyzed almost 200 severe adverse reactions to Protelos reported in France during a three year period.
Of the total 844 side effects reported to French authorities during that period, VTE or blood clots were the most frequent severe cardiovascular side effect. The study also breaks down other commonly reported side effects, including severe skin rashes and blisters.
Let’s keep in mind that strontium ranelate is a combination of strontium with synthetic ranelic acid, a “necessary evil”, so to speak, to make the product patentable, since strontium is a naturally occurring element. While I don’t recommend taking any form of strontium in large supplemental doses, small amounts of strontium that may be naturally present in certain organic supplements do not pose a problem.
But the main lesson learned from this news is that you are better-off not taking any chances with osteoporosis drugs. That you can follow the safe and 100% natural Osteoporosis Reversal Program so you’ll never have to deal with bad surprises.
You Deserve Better Than a Synthetic Wannabe
What good will it do to you to take drugs that strengthen bones while taking a chance on the way you feel? How does that many any sense? Because if you’re doing what’s right for your bones, it also has to be right for your general health and for you life.
And you’ll know that you’re doing the right thing when you feel better than ever, full of radiant energy and a sense of well-being that no drug in this world can give you. Read some of the real life results from community members, and you’ll understand what I mean.
With this in mind, I’ve created the Osteoporosis Reversal Program. So you can stop worrying about the dangerous side effects of drugs and improve your bone health and your general wellness. Indeed, you deserve the peace of mind that comes from knowing that you are not doing anything that could ultimately harm your body and that you’ll never have to face the awful burden of treating an osteoporosis drug side effect.
Osteoporosis Reversal Program at a Glance
- The Osteoporosis Reversal Program is a whopping 336 pages thick. Each chapter ends with a ‘Let’s Summarize’ and ‘What This Means To You’ section to make it even easier to follow.
- Everything you need to get started is bound to the book and will be mailed to your doorstep. You’ll get the entire Osteoporosis Reversal Program Power Package, which includes the Osteoporosis Reversal Program Manual, the Bonus Recipe Sampler, the Osteoporosis Reversal Program Glossary, Doctor Dialogues, The Missing Link, The Quick Start Guide, Foundation Foods Checklist, Foundation Supplements Checklist, Cheat Sheets, Action Sheets, Success Sheets, and the Weekly Progress Tracking Tool.
- It’s full of simple and sensible nutritional and lifestyle “Action Steps” you can take that are all backed by over 100 scientific sources.
- Implementing just a handful of the ‘Actions!’ is guaranteed to improve your bone density so that you don’t have to live with osteoporosis any longer.
- Guaranteed to increase your bone density
- If you’re not satisfied with the Osteoporosis Reversal Program for any reason, simply return it within 1 year for a full refund — no questions asked.
So if you haven’t yet, get on the Osteoporosis Reversal Program and don’t worry, be happy!
Till next time,
2 Jonville-Bera AP, Autret-Leca E. “Adverse drug reactions of strontium ranelate Protelos(®) in France.” Presse Med 2011. Oct; 40(10):e453-62.